Monday, September 1, 2008

The One Thing Worse than Laundry

I guess that may be misleading. There are lots of things that are more of a pain in the rear than laundry. And laundry itself is not a real big deal. Washing it is easy. It's the darn folding and putting away that bogs me down. Since everyone seems to be heading up to the laundry room to search for clean clothes in the morning, I think it is time for a marathon folding session tonight. But what is worse than tackling the laundry? Organizing the hand-me-down bins. Please understand, I love hand-me-downs. We have been blessed to be given tons of clothes for our kids over the years. But it never fails that the hand-me-down bins usually end up a big cluttered mess after a while. Part of this lately was due to a certain 5 year-old who shall remain nameless who seemed to enjoy dragging the boxes out of his closet in search for new clothes all the time. Part of it was due to not having enough bins to store all the clothes. Part of it was due to someone just stashing the bags and boxes in a closet as they came in rather than sorting them. Gee, wonder who would have done that. But I have a major announcement to make. The boxes are sorted. Labeled even. And they have a new home in the back of the office in the basement so that little people cannot help themselves to the clothes while we are not looking. There are a couple of laundry baskets in the baby's room full of clothes that have been outgrown by various kids and needing to be put away but otherwise, they are all done. I am rather pleased right now. Now I just have to tackle the mess of books and homeschool materials that are cluttering up the dining room from when we rearranged the house in preparation for starting school back up a few weeks ago. People are invited over on Thursday which gives me a deadline. You want motivation to organize your house, invite folks over. Works every time.

2 comments:

Dirtdartwife said...

I agree... invite people over and your house will be cleaned in no time. That motivation seems to creep up like that. Glad you were able to get everything finished with all those clothes. How about the cloth diapers? How do you have those organized? (I'm looking for inspiration here)

Cheryl said...

The diapers lately have just never been put away. We just keep them out on shelves and in drawers in the laundry room. As soon as Abby outgrew the mediums, Gabe grew into them. And the smalls, well, I figured I have a labeled place for them already. Why move them elsewhere even if they aren't being used at the moment. But I imagine you don't have quite as many diapers as I have. Maybe I'll have to grab a picture of the diaper area later. Wow, I'm a geek. Pictures of diapers.