Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Catholic Update Guide to Confession

This small little book has been sitting in my "to be read" pile for a while.  Ok, not always sitting in the pile.  Sometimes buried under paperwork or hidden on a bookshelf or hiding who knows where in my attempts to avoid reading it.  Yes, I was avoiding this harmless little book because I was not in the mood to be lectured to because I manage to do enough of that on my own and don't need a book to do it for me.  But I finally decided it was time to pick it up and dust it off and actually read it.

The book Catholic Update Guide to Confession is a super quick read.  It is not preachy and does not lecture you.  In this book you won't find someone standing over you saying "You must go to confession weekly/monthly/whatever or you are not living a proper spiritual life."  You also won't find justification for the myriad of reasons we often come up with to avoid confession. I'll admit I can't quite understand why my kids have no problem going to confession but both of their parents avoid it at all costs.  Who taught them to not be afraid?  Whoever managed to do that needs to come have a talk with me.

Anyway, this book is short, simple, and to the point. It walks you through the ritual of confession both in an individual and a communal form.  It teaches you in simple language why we each have a need for confession and reminds you that it is not such a mean, scary thing.  The book gives you 10 tips to help you gain the most from confession and gives you the gentle reminder that the most important thing about the sacrament is "what Jesus does" and not anything we ourselves do.

This book provides a wonderful shot in the arm for those of us who have been avoiding the confession line and a great explanation for those who just never understood the sacrament to begin with.  I can honestly say that I plan on reading it again and hope to do my best to follow the advice in the book to take the time to seek out that ever elusive "wise and welcoming priest" we all need to help guide us through this sacrament.  And it just might be added to the pile of books the older children are required to read or risk the loss of movie night.  Just maybe.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Catholic Update Guide to Confession . They are also a great source for a Catechism of the Catholic Church or a Catholic Bible.

No comments: