Monday, January 23, 2012

Chinese New Year

Today we celebrated Chinese New Year. It is the year of the dragon this year.  (Just a note, I had elaborate plans for this day but life got in the way so we went a simple route.  I was picturing inviting friends over for a party at lunch, a movie, crafts, the works. Instead I have a bunch of sick kids and simplicity.  Maybe next time will work out as I envisioned.)
We celebrated with a dinner of sweet and sour chicken, oranges, egg rolls, and fortune cookies.  Some funky coconut based gluten free fortune cookies which looked odd and tasted funky because that is all that is left at the store when you wait until today to go shopping. The oranges are in some way supposed to be a traditional food for this feast but I was not able to figure out exactly why.  Maybe by next year I'll have figured it out.
I ordered these cheater chopsticks for our younger children because they seem to have a bit of trouble with regular ones.  I think they might also come in handy for the occasional guest who has trouble with regular ones as well.  Robert was rather  happy that he was able to use them properly.
Several of the kids also colored dragons print-outs today.  It was also national pie day but I just thought it would be weird to have a pie for dessert with Chinese food.  Maybe I'll make one for tomorrow instead.

No comments: