Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

We decided to try something new with the kids this year. We will be working on Lenten Lapbooks with the older 3 boys. I suppose I could work on them with Katie and Liam as well but I have a feeling that I would end up doing all of the work myself so I think we will wait at least another year on that one.
So far we only have the covers done. Bryan and Sean will be working exclusively from the materials provided by Lapbooks for Catholics while Kieran will be using materials from Lapbook Lessons as well. All of the boys are very excited about this project so I'm sure there will be lots more pictures in the future.

Of course, everyone colored the print-outs from the Catholic Mom website and we are working on the Holy Heroes Lenten Adventure. While I was browsing the Catholic Mom website, I also found several Lenten file folder games for the kids to play. I think it is rather important that we attempt to emphasize the purpose behind Lent and help the kids understand that it is much more than just meatless Fridays, Ash Wednesday and Easter morning. There is a reason for the penitential season and it should not be glossed over with all the emphasis placed on the silly Easter Bunny.

No comments: