Sunday, June 2, 2013

Abby's Dessert

I've been wanting to take a break from ice cream on Sunday nights for our Sundae's on Sunday tradition for a while.  Mostly because it seems I can't eat ice cream myself anymore without feeling sick which is truly quite a bummer. We wanted to start adding small simple traditions to our daily life but sometime the same old thing gets a bit boring for Mom and Dad.

This week Abby helped me make a banana split dessert. I seem to recall my Mom making something of this sort a time or two when we were growing up but I'm not sure if this was it.  I looked at a few recipes on-line and then tweaked them a bit to match what we had in the house at the time. We ended up with something simple, almost no-bake but decidedly not a healthy dessert. Alan claims it can be considered healthy because it has bananas and pineapple in it. I'm not sure if we really want to go down that road because I can see the absolute potential for truly abusing that kind of a rule.  Anyway, here's what we did just in case you want to try it yourself.
Mix about 2 cups of crushed graham crackers with 1 stick of melted butter. Spread in the bottom of a 9 by 13 pan and bake for 5 minutes or so.  Combine 16 oz of softened cream cheese with 2 cups of powdered sugar and layer on top of the crust.  Next cut up 3 bananas and layer those on.   Top with one can of drained crushed pineapple.  The next layer is a container of cool-whip type whipped cream stuff.  Then you can add marachino cherries or chocolate or nuts or whatever you might like or have around. Like I said, not healthy but sometimes it is nice to just not worry about such things.

No comments: