Thursday, June 9, 2011

Pat-A-Cake Nursery Rhymes

One of our favorite homeschool supply stores is Timberdoodle.  I tend to look to this company when I am wanting something less textbookish for the kids.  One of their recent additions to their catalog are their complete curriculum packages.  These packages start out with the baby and toddler stage and go right through high school.  They are perfect for giving you that right out of the box, ready to go set of books that many folks crave during their first few years of homeschooling. They also look great if you want one stop shopping while making sure you are still covering everything.
happy baby
I was recently given the opportunity to review the book Pat-A-Cake Nursery Rhymes which is part of their baby curriculum.  This book is generously sized so that little hands can easily hold it and help turn pages.  The heavy cardboard means it can withstand some of the inevitable chewing that tends to happen to any and all baby related items at one point or another.  This book combines short traditional nursery rhymes with a few modern ones.  Every page is filled with adorable looking kids acting out the nursery rhymes.
big brother really wanted to be included even though Ellie was not interested at the moment
I will admit that I am not really a fan of modern nursery rhymes.  For some reason they never seem to work for me.  The modern rhymes in this book were no exception.  I did enjoy the more traditional rhymes in the book.  There were several rhymes on each page with accompanying pictures so it seemed a tad cluttered to me but my 2-year-old seemed to love the picture layout.  I'm not sure what the baby really thought but she did enjoy having the book read to her by several of her siblings.

The baby curriculum package is absolutely worth looking into if you are interested in educational toys and activities for your little one.  It's high on motor skill building activities and low on noise making obnoxious toys.  Can we say a mother's dream?  No need for the battery fairy to visit you with these toys. It also comes with a planning folder which provides a way for you to keep track of the activities you are enjoying with your baby.  A perfect answer to that new mom question of "am I doing enough with my child" and "how should I be playing with my baby" that I often hear.

Just a note: I was given a free copy of the book Pat-A-Cake Nursery Rhymes in exchange for doing an honest review on the product.

No comments: