Saturday, September 5, 2009

Kids in the Kitchen

One of my goals this year is to let go of my hang-ups and set the kids free in the kitchen a bit more often.  Alan is great at working with the kids and letting them cook.  He let's them take over making our big weekend breakfast on a regular basis.  I guess he is able to see the fun in the process while I tend to see the result of the process: a big mess. But I am trying to get over it and let them cook more.  I have run into a few problems while trying to do this.  We've picked up the normal kids' cookbooks here and there and the kids love to use them.  They are great resources assuming that your kitchen is stocked with prepackaged prepared stuff and you only need to cook enough for 2 to 4 people.  Needless to say, neither of these conditions actually apply to our house.  There is a benefit to learning to cook using prepacked mixes and such but then you have to learn later how to cook without them.  And I'd really love to have the kids cooking full meals, not just dessert.  We are making some progress.  Slowly, messily.  Hopefully by the time Alan returns next year, the older two will be in charge of dinner at least once a night and the middle 3 will be venturing into taking over lunch preparations.  I have a feeling I'll still be cracking the eggs because I have eaten enough egg shells lately to last a while.  Perhaps their next cooking lesson should be on removing the egg shell pieces before you cook the eggs.

No comments: