Friday, September 11, 2009

Egg Carton Art

We've been accumulating a rather large supply of egg cartons lately. Sometimes we need more than others but I finally had to admit that we had a bit too many laying around so I decided we had to find something fun to do with them other than just tossing them in the recycling bin.
So we got out the paint, pipe cleaners and wiggly eyes.  And the all important cheap plastic table cloth to keep folks from painting the table.
Everyone was very quiet and busy.  We also found the best use ever for the corn cob knobs from Pampered Chef.  They do a much better job of poking holes in egg cartons to put the pipe cleaners through than they do at their intended job.
I do believe we ended up using about 30 of the self-adhesive wiggly eyes so I am going to have to get more of them.  Those are much better for art projects than the ones you have to glue on yourself.  We've always had a hard time getting them to stick on anything without way too much glue.
Gabe decided to paint the table after he'd gotten tired of painting egg cartons.  Which is why I use the cheap table cloths.  At the end of this messier than normal project, I was able to just throw the entire mess away.
Here are some of the finished projects.  We had spiders and caterpillars of all different colors. I'm pretty sure there were a few other creatures and object thrown in there as well.  This colorful crew is now hanging out in our kitchen waiting for everything to dry.

1 comment:

Dirtdartwife said...

awesome!!! those look SO cool and the kids look like they had a great time!

I agree with you about the Pampered Chef corncob things. My kids use them when they have to poke holes in stuff too. heehee!