Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Painting with Marbles

Today we finally got around to doing a project I have wanted to do with the kids since we went to an Easter party, um, about 5 kids ago. First thing holding me back was not having marbles. Just can't justify buying the little choking hazards just for one art project. Then we found a bag of them in Alan's office that belonged to one of us in high school. Yes, we have a few boxes of junk that really need to be tossed. So marbles in hand I came upstairs and set them on a top shelf in the library and promptly forgot where they were for another couple months. Found them today and decided to seize the moment.
I had Bryan pick out 3 different colors of finger paint. Poured some paint into a muffin tin and added 2 marbles to each color. I printed out a heart template for each of the kids.
Then you put the heart shape (or anything the right size) into a container with sides. We used these pie pans I bought to make quiche for the freezer for the midwives. Yes, on the birth list was vegetarian meals for the midwives. But since Robert came early, they sat unused in our cupboard. You can also use shirt boxes or baking sheets or whatever you have laying around.
Put one marble at a time into the pan and roll it around. The intent was to make patterns on the hearts and see how the colors mixed together but several of the children decided the intent was to cover the paper completely leaving no white showing. And since red and blue make purple and we were also using purple, there wasn't too much noticeable color mixing going on.
But everyone enjoyed the project anyway. The finished projects will be hung up once they finally dry. You'd be amazed at how much paint you can get onto such a small surface when you are determined.
Since there is no way in heck I would trust Gabe with marbles yet, he got to finger paint which he loved. Sadly, I think I have avoided finger painting in recent years. I really need to let the little ones do this some more. Look at that happy face.
This is just one of those reminders to myself that the kids really do enjoy this type of stuff and a couple of 15 minutes snatches of time every day truly goes a long way to keeping them entertained, not fighting and happy. I suppose we should try making these messes a tad more often.

1 comment:

Dirtdartwife said...

those are pretty neat! I agree with you about letting the kids do it... I'm in the same boat. I actually dread the clean up so I feel worse because I know it's more of a "me" reason as to why I don't let the kids do it.