Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Alien Spaghetti

Or an excuse to play with your food. Trust me when I say your kids will love making this dinner. You start with your normal cast of characters. I must say we are only using jarred sauce because Alan is not eating dinner. :) I got this idea from someone who did it with hot dogs but the idea of mixing hot dogs and spaghetti just did not work for me. So we are using pre-cooked meatballs. The small sized ones from your local grocery store.
You want to make sure the meatballs are slightly defrosted. You want them still firm but not too frozen. So after sending the kids to wash their hands, give each kid a few meatballs.
Then give them some spaghetti or we used angel hair because it would cook faster. Break the noodles in half and skewer the meatballs with a few pieces.
This is work that requires concentration. Unless you are Gabe. If you are Gabe it requires a fast hand so you can stuff the meatballs in your mouth when no one is looking. This is one of the reasons it is important to use pre-cooked meatballs.
Eventually you will have a pile of meatballs that looks like this. Toss them into boiling water until the noodles cook. This is another reason we used pre-cooked meatballs. We needed something that would cook in the same amount of time as the noodles. It is also why we used angel hair. I wanted something that would cook quickly enough so that the meatballs did not have a chance to fall apart in the water.
When they are done, they will look something like this. Kind of weird if you ask me but the kids loved them.
Give it a try and get creative. If you try other food combos, let me know what worked and what didn't. We'll be making these again sometime soon.

1 comment:

Dirtdartwife said...

oh that is too awesome! I'm so going to have to try that!!!! My kids would LOVE it!