Saturday, November 1, 2008

Saturday Ramblings

So what do you do on a weekend with no car and no adult interaction? It's only been 5 days since I've had the van and am going a wee bit stir crazy. I'd love to get out of the house for something, anything. But that won't happen until at least Tuesday. Yup, my life is so rough. (insert slight sarcasm here)

The children are finding all sorts of new ways to get into trouble in the back yard. Apparently if Mom and Dad are not looking, you can build a bridge over the creek with the little ones. Or dig a big gigantic hole in the middle of the yard. Ok, I can live with a hole if they'd asked first but they never do that. And the creek is an ok place to play if an adult knows where you are. Again, why bother asking when you can get in trouble later. I guess that option must be more fun. Perhaps the children are going a bit stir crazy as well. Or maybe they realize that these last few weeks of warmer weather should be enjoyed to their fullest. As long as they avoid swimming in mud puddles again, I'll be happy.

The picture above is Gabe trying to figure out how to play the train whistle. Lucky me, one more kid who is learning how to make obscene amounts of noise inside the house.

I suppose I should plan to use my weekend in some sort of productive fashion. You know, like sitting down with the lesson plans, writing out the quarterly reports, maybe planning the All Saints Day party we are supposed to be hosting on Friday. Or I could do the unthinkable and actually fold the 10 loads of laundry sitting around in various laundry baskets. But if I did that, what would I have left to assign to a surly child who can't seem to manage to quit running their mouth. Hm, that is something to consider.

I imagine that is more than enough random ramblings for one morning. I suppose it is time to get up and go deal with that diaper waiting for me. I so can't wait for Abby to actually potty train. Yup, dreaming here again but if you must dream, why not dream big.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now, I will explain to you what kind of a childhood I had and maybe we can see where these thoughts come from...

I remember CLEARLY attempting one day to dig a chasm in my aunt's backyard with my favorite cousin (had many cousins and she was (Is still) my fav!) and the reason we were digging this pit? We wanted to pour water on the Devil... Now I hope that your children don't read this so that I don't give them ideas but anyhow, back to the story...

We started very early in the day (mid morning) and I do remember stopping for lunch... back to the hole after that and probably @ about 2 or 3, the sky opened up. Tsunami! Torrential! Epic!

Well, you'd think this would daunt us? Nope! We figured that God was helping us! If he could make it rain like that and it was ALL going into our hole, then God must want us to put the Devil out!

So here are these two idiots, in the backyard, digging a hole and without being factitious, I remember also that this hole was deeper than I was which @ 8 or 9, was easily 4 foot tall.... we had an absolute blast!!!... Never did get to see the Devil :-(

That is, until my mother wanted to leave...