Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pictures from Today

Views from a typical school day around here. Maybe not totally typical as we have one sick kid crashed on the couch.
Really, aside from the laundry baskets that are supposed to be hiding under the bench, the house is actually clean today. For some reason the kids decided to pull them out.
Katie and Liam are back to working nicely together. They are terribly competitive and on a normal day, you hear them talking about how they are going to do better than the other one. I don't know, maybe that will spur them on a bit. Or it will drive me insane.

I have to say I kind of like seeing glimpses into the lives of other homeschooling families. I know there are folks who picture homeschooled kids as simply huddled behind desks and sitting with books for hours at a time. Needless to say, that rarely happens. But we like it that way. And, no, I don't care at all where a child in the same grade level at the public school down the street is with their work or what my child would or should be doing if they were in school. Every school works differently and we have our own schedule. Guess that is the beauty of keeping them home. They are never behind, never ahead, never stuck bored out of their minds because the rest of the class doesn't get it yet, never stuck baffled and confused because the rest of the class moved on without them. If I could have back all the hours I spent in school bored out of my mind, I do believe I would have several years of childhood back to spend actually having fun. Or maybe I would have had time to learn about something that was actually interesting or of use to me later in life.

1 comment:

Dirtdartwife said...

Love the pics! I always have a messy table by the end of our school work, but for the most part, they have fun. And I'm with ya on the criticisms of where the kids should be based of what the public school is doing. My kids are right where they should be.