Monday, August 25, 2008

A Tale of Two Kindergarteners


Katie and Liam are only 15 months apart and have done just about everything together forever. They are best buddies so we decided to start them both in kindergarten this year. This would mean that I would have children in 2 grades back to back rather than having kids in 3 grades back to back to back. In theory this is supposed to lessen the teaching burden on my shoulders. Let's be honest here. It is a wee bit hard to keep track of lesson plans for 5 different grades all at once. So instead this year we have 4 grades. Not that much easier but a little bit. In theory at least. But Katie and Liam are determined to totally trash this theory. You put the two of them at a table to work together and it is total chaos. He is distracted my her, she is distracted by him. He starts to scribble and goof off so she does, too. Suddenly the excited "I get to do school today" shouts are replaced by "But Mom. I don't want to do school." Fun times, I tell you. So for the time being we have afternoon and morning kindergarten going. One kid at a time. Remember the whole theory behind putting them both in kindergarten this year was to lessen the teaching burden on me. Maybe one day that will happen. They seem content to do religion together and listen to stories together and do art projects and messy science. Just not the actual bookwork. Maybe they are just typical kids and are allergic to bookwork. Maybe they just enjoy driving me bonkers. Who knows. I'm hoping in a few months we will be able to do everything together again. But hats off to you teachers in classrooms who are actually able to take 25 kids and keep them all on the same page at the same time.

No comments: