Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Final Result


And now we have the final result of my morning spent canning peaches. I have decided the most tedious part of canning fruit is all the peeling and slicing. But in the end, I have 5 quarts of peaches. If anyone knows how to keep the fruit from floating up to the top, please let me know. I have a feeling it won't change the taste any but it does look a tad odd. Sometime tonight or tomorrow I have another batch of peaches to deal with. Hopefully I'll be able to can those with fewer mishaps.

3 comments:

Dirtdartwife said...

are you canning with just water or a light syrup? You might not be letting the syrup thicken up enough. Try boiling it a bit longer before canning it.

Dirtdartwife said...

otherwise... they look great. And I have to agree... the most tedious part is the blanching, peeling and cutting. Just like tomatoes. Peaches are easier because they don't sting your hands.

Cheryl said...

I used a light syrup. But it is quite possible that it did not boil long enough. I'll have to try that with the next batch. We just pulled another couple boxes off the tree.