Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Granola Bars

In my ever constant search for healthy yet inexpensive snacks for the crew, I came upon a simple recipe last night for chewy granola bars. This recipe uses all normal, easy to find ingredients. Chances are fairly good that you will have everything in your pantry already which is a huge plus to me.
I made the initial batch with chocolate chips since that's what we have in the house at the moment but I plan on making a second batch with dried fruit and some nuts after grocery shopping this weekend. I'm also planning on teaching a few of the kids how to make the granola bars so they can take over. Give them a try yourself and let me know if they are a hit at your house. Chewy Granola Bars

2 comments:

Dirtdartwife said...

I'm still trying to get the idea of how to spread the top layer of oatmeal without ruining the middle layer of jam (or filling). Does it muddle it all up to the point of not leaving any filling in the middle? I like the idea of chocolate... not that the family would see those if I made it with chocolate... I'd end up eating all of it!

Cheryl said...

That would be for the cereal bar recipe and when I make those there is a bit of filling peeking through the top. Just make sure to press the bottom layer down firmly and don't put a heavy layer of jam on, just enough to cover everything. There is plenty of filling left in the middle. I haven't heard any complaints on those either.