Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Fencing Lessons

Kieran has been asking for fencing lessons for years.  He tolerates karate but has even asked if we could afford fencing lessons if he stopped taking karate.  For many reasons, fencing simply does not fit into our budget or family plans. I refuse to fill our schedule up with individual classes/lessons for just for one child.  I'd rather spend more time at home and not drive everyone crazy.  Family time is a greater priority.  Plus most of the fencing lessons are on the other side of Rochester and they are very expensive. So they never were considered.  However, the other day I was flipping through a catalog we received for some local recreation programs and found an introductory fencing class for elementary kids.  It is just a 6-week session and was still out of our budget in general but his grandparents are chipping in on the classes for a birthday present. When we split the cost in half, it almost brought it down to the level we normally spend on birthdays.  Since Kieran has been wanting fencing lessons for so long, I decided I was willing to spend just a little more than usual. 

Alan took him to the first session last night. We did not tell him where he was going to keep it a surprise.  The kid was beyond thrilled.  Just judging from the grin on his face when he arrived home last night, I think we can safely say he is thrilled with his birthday present.  Yes, I know his birthday is in December but the class is now.  I think he won't mind no presents on his actual birthday because this experience is much better than a new toy.