Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Escaping from Karate

While the older five attend karate class, I have to find something to do with the younger four.  Usually I also have two other kids that I need to watch as well.  Normally occupying a few kids would not be a big deal for only an hour.  But for some reason during karate class, the kids always get out of control and loud.  We are allowed to hang out in the back room at the karate studio and they have a wonderful area for the kids to play.  Unfortunately, the room also tends to echo a bit and get loud.  Add to that one child who is a wee bit sensitive to everything so he gets upset easily over what we consider normal not even worth noticing bumps and such in our family.  And for the last 15 minutes, the older folks have a private lesson so all of the other kids converge on the back room bringing the noise and chaos level much higher than I like.

Yes, all normal ideas have been tried to contain the sheer chaos of the back room during karate.  Snacks, toys, games.  Nothing seems to work and I frankly do not at all look forward to karate class because I do not like dealing with the back room of chaos. 

Over the past few weeks I have started taking the younger kids for a snack instead.  Between the walk to the store, having a snack, then walking back to the studio, the kids are kept occupied and we usually only have about 15 minutes left in class.  Last week we actually sat and quietly watched the last of the class instead of having to go to the back room at all.  I loved it because I feel like I am missing out on what the older kids are doing since I never get to watch the class.  Granted, part of the different feel last week was a few missing kids but overall, taking the younger ones out for a walk/snack has made a difference.  Can't say I love hanging out during karate class yet but at least I'm not dreading it every week anymore.

No comments: