Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Legacy of Love

I've been reading the book Legacy of Love: Biblical Wisdom for Parenting Teens and Young Adults for a while now.  Ok, I've been struggling in my efforts to get through the book. For quite a while.  Much longer than it usually takes me to get through a book of this size. Much, much longer.

Our first child is an official teen now and our second is nipping at his heels.  This reminds me that our time together with all of our children living under one roof is going to quickly come to an end.  This in turn motivates me to seek out the wisdom of those who have gone before me in this teen parenting thing and try to glean ideas that will help us to guide our children and give them roots they will be proud to call their own.  Kimberly Hahn is rather well-known in the Catholic homeschool parenting realm which is why I wanted to get her insight on this topic.  Sadly, I'm not sure I gained much of anything from reading this book.

I'm sure hidden in this book are some very wonderful, insightful suggestions.  I'm sure there is a wealth of information to be shared.  I'm equally sure that I could not wade my way past the preachy life is full of roses and you just have to do things the way we did them and everything will be great attitude to search them out.  I truly felt as if the tone of the book was one that talked down to me.  I'm not one who finds that kind of tone fun in a book.  It really made it hard for me to take much of what she had to say seriously.  I will admit that I will give the book another try in a few more weeks to see if there is something I was missing.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Legacy of Love :Biblical Wisdom for Parenting Teen. They are also a great source for a Catechism of the Catholic Church or a Catholic Bible.

No comments: