Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cobblestone School Museum

 We finally seem to be getting back into the groove of things since the baby was born and are finally going on field trips again on a regular basis.  Field trips are one of the positive aspects of homeschooling and I hate to see them not happen because we are too busy with book work to step away from it every so often.  Sometimes this means I am chasing a toddler who does not want to sit down or maybe one of the kids finds the trip boring but I think it is important to remember that school means more than books and a true education simply must include things outside our front door.
Today we visited the Cobblestone School Museum.  The one-room school house was built in 1848 and used as a school until 1952.  It is called the Cobblestone School because of the cobblestones used to build the school itself. 
I have to admit walking into the school, I was hit with thinking that I would really love to have that much space myself to work with for a school room.  Perhaps in our next house. 
The school was filled with lots of items that the students used while the school was in use.  We saw their lunch boxes, the water bucket, slates, ink wells, old maps, globes, flashcards, pictures and more.
The kids seem to have enjoyed themselves and hopefully learned a few things.

No comments: