Monday, August 24, 2009

First Day of School

Ok, I suppose my kids would debate that one since I made them keep working on math all summer. But today was the first day of school around here for the new school year. I'm predicting that things will be just a tad chaotic for a few weeks while we figure out a schedule. I have 2 kids who need to do their math on a computer, 2 who need to do phonics on a computer, 2 who need to get in piano practice (um, after I get the hang of the program we are using to teach them so likely I need some practice time as well so I can stay ahead of them), 2 who need the DVD player for Latin, 2 children who need to be entertained so they don't tear the house apart while we work and one little babe who thinks being separated from Mom for even 5 minutes is torture. Yup, my prediction is for chaos since the tv, computers and keyboard are all in the same general area. I believe headphones will become out new best friends this year.

The math programs continue to be a hit with everyone. Liam and Katie are looking forward to getting into their phonics once they watch the Leap Frog movies a few more times for review. Bryan made giant cookies for a back-to-school snack. Now to teach the boy about cleaning up after yourself in the kitchen and to expect that you will be mopping the floor if you spill ginormous amounts of sugar all over it and follow that with spilling liquids. He thinks I am kidding when I say he will be mopping the floor tonight. I think he has a bit to learn but his cookies taste great.

In a few more weeks we will add in gym class, bowling and possibly basketball and swimming lessons. We're hoping to keep busy this winter to pass the time quickly until February. Now to manage all of this and avoid burn out.

No comments: