Friday, June 26, 2009

Today's Harvest

I will admit that these pictures represent food that we have to do basically no work to grow. The asparagus patch was well established when we moved in and the trees were already producing. But these pictures remind my why I am grateful that I do not have to rely on my rather lacking gardening skills to feed my family all winter. Yes, we are slowly learning a few more tricks each year and learning more each year. But if we had to rely on our own skills at this moment to feed the family all winter, well, we would be mighty hungry and sick of slaughtering chickens after a while.
Hopefully later this week or early next week we will get out to an actual farm and pick some decent sized cherries. The ones on our trees are rather small and many are too high in the tree for us to safely reach.
I imagine if you grow up in an environment where your basic survival depends on your own gardening abilities, you learn rather quickly. Good thing we have grocery stores around here.

No comments: