Saturday, June 27, 2009

Strawberry Time

It's strawberry season. Which means making the yearly trip to fill the back of the van with strawberries. We ended up with 36 quarts this year and I am hopeful this will be enough to last us all year. The debate now is over how many batches of jam I should make.
Gabe spent the morning riding with Dad. This is just not fair. Last year he rode on my back in the Ergo and was quite happy to smear strawberries all over my back. This year he rides with Alan in the backpack and actually eats the berries. Just not fair I tell you. Poor Gabe fell off the slide yesterday and sprained his ankle so he has spent most of the past two days being carried around by someone.
Bryan is a big help since he has gotten past the stage of scarfing down every berry he picks or jumping up and down with excitement over each berry insisting that we all look at it because it is the biggest one ever. He's a quiet and hard worker which makes it much easier to get in and out of the fields quickly.
Katie is very proud of her full basket.
Here's one that Abby actually didn't eat.
Yes, the kitchen is covered in strawberries so I guess I'd better start getting them cleaned up and dealt with. Hopefully we'll get raspberries and cherries next week.

No comments: