Monday, December 1, 2008

Advent Happenings

Yes, you will see a theme to the next several posts I imagine. See, around here we don't get the tree and decorations and all that jazz out at Thanksgiving. Or even after Thanksgiving. Instead we get out the Advent decorations and focus on preparing for the coming of Christ, both as a baby at Christmas and in the future. Listen to the readings at Mass, we are to be ever watchful and prepared. The tree eventually goes up a week before Christmas without decorations. Some years Alan will talk me into putting the lights on. But we don't decorate it until Christmas Eve. It then stays up until Epiphany and that is the time we focus on celebrating Christmas. Advent is meant to be a time of preparation and penance. Yes, it can be a bit hard to get that message across to the kids when they are bombarded by the secular idea of the holiday every time they turn around. But that is part of the reason we keep them out of the stores and stick to watching videos and EWTN for the most part. Yes, EWTN has some wonderful kids programing every afternoon. Phase one of the Advent preparation involved getting out our wreaths. We have one on the dining room table to be lit every night at dinner. We also have a smaller one to keep on our family altar to be used during family prayer time. Sometime today I will get out our Nativity scene and magnetic Advent calendar but they are on the shelves over the stairs in the garage so I guess the truth is that sometime later tonight Alan will get them out. I think he would not be too happy with me if I tried to get them right now. But I wanted to find something a little fun to add to the season this year so today I made up our own little countdown chain. You've seen those paper chains a ton of times, I'm sure. Chances are pretty good that we've all made at least 5 or 6 of them at various times. This one is a bit special. One, it is pink and purple since those are the colors of advent. Inside each loop is an activity to do as a family to help celebrate or prepare for Advent. And to just have fun. I'm hoping the kids will enjoy this way of marking Advent more than a piece of chocolate every day. Besides, have you ever tried to keep track of 7 different mostly identical advent calendars before? Yes, it is a pain in the rear. I'll have to do some research over the next few weeks and find a different way of celebrating the Christmas season from Christmas until Epiphany.

1 comment:

Jenny Jenny said...

Cheryl -

I really like your Advent theme - the blog looks great, and I'm sure the kids are having fun with the activities, too!