Thursday, February 17, 2011

Truly Sad


I read an article this morning that said in the US and similar cultures, babies often are only held for 2.5 to 3 hours a day because their parents are so darn busy using baby gadgets and containers to hold them.  Seems we've become a hands-off society.  Sorry but I find this to be incredibly sad.  I wish I could say it was shocking but from watching many main stream parents, I'd say the article was right on the money.  As of yet, our little lady honestly spends maybe 2.5 hrs a day when she's not being held by someone.  No, I'm not complaining about it.  Folks comment about how she is such a happy baby and you never hear her crying. Then they ask if it bugs me that she wants to be held all the time.  Um, no.  She's happy because her needs are being met.  She's a child who needs to be held.  I have a feeling most babies are hard wired this way but in our society learn quickly to give up on their fussing when they want to be held because it is ignored.  Yup, that sounds kind of harsh and mean.  I can't imagine what that must feel like for the poor kids.  I'm truly hoping now that babywearing is starting to become more of a popular thing that babies will be held more often.  Just maybe they'll be happier that way.

No comments: