Sunday, July 26, 2015

Meal Plan

Last week was the first week with all the boys back in the house. We seriously went through half as much food as normal the week all 4 older boys were at camp. Seriously.  4 teen/almost teen boys eat a ton of food. Just in case you were wondering.  So one of my goals this year is to work on teaching them how to choose foods that will actually fill them up and provide energy without being just a plain sugar rush. So, no, a bowl of cereal really is not the best snack choice. Protein is a necessary and needed thing. And, really, talk to your parents before snatching food without permission because I bet Mom had plans for the 3 lbs container of cottage cheese you just scarfed down. And, again, remove the empty boxes from the cupboards because otherwise you are just messing with my head and irritating me. But anyway, here's the meal plan for the week.  Hopefully.

M: eggs (B), tacos (D)
T: oatmeal (B), chicken azteca over rice (D)
W: muffins (B), spaghetti (D)
T: breakfast casserole (B), easy Mexican casserole (D)
F: pumpkin bread (B), bean dip, assorted finger foods (D)

I am working on getting the pantry shelves stocked again. With multiple military trips and lots of extra medical bills over the past year,  our pantry shelves were pretty much decimated. Combine that with the constant increase in food costs and the consumption levels of teenagers, and I have been fighting a losing battle in my attempts to restock. The goal for August is to work on both home canned foods  and store bought ones. Yesterday I managed to find an awesome deal on some produce and we made some progress by canning 7 quarts of pickled jalapenos. This week I hope to can triple berry jam, strawberry syrup, and blueberry syrup if I can get out to pick some more blueberries. We also have about 15 bell peppers to get processed for the freezer and rhubarb to process. Also hoping to get a triple batch of laundry detergent made before we run out of detergent completely.

And we are hoping for a calmer week. Two cars needed major repairs this week. Both died on the same day, at the same time, in the same location. One tow truck, one busted radiator, one really horrible messed up brake system. I have decided that no more money will be put into Alan's car because it really makes no sense at this point. And now that the radiator has been replaced on the teenagers' car, it will hopefully hold up well for a few more years.

On a more positive note, I won two raffles this past week. One from the library for a multi-colored cat shaped solar light (seriously, it changes colors all night long) and a gift card to Bill Gray's. Another one for two years worth of art classes on DVD. I picked the 3rd and 4th grade lessons. My crew seems to love DVD based art lessons and I love them now that the local college is no longer offering art classes to homeschoolers. This keeps  art classes much more interesting that what I can manage on my own and affordable. Seriously, that affordable part is what is really important here.

No comments: