Sunday, December 15, 2013

Our Week

I know, I know. I've been remiss in not posting things this week.  Call me busy, call me slightly in a funk, call me distracted, uninspired. Whatever. I'll try to do better this week. Maybe.

We had our cookie decorating party on Monday which is nothing more than an excuse to get some friends together, feed their kids lots and lots of sugar, and then send them home.  Aren't I a wonderful person?

Snow on and off most of the week. The Frontier Girls meeting was attended by almost no one as the roads were awful that night but we did get 2 no sew fleece blankets made to donate to the pregnancy center and the older girls are still working on learning to crochet hats.  Yes, it is a bit of a struggle but their fearless instructor is doing a great job at working with so many newbies.

On Saturday we hosted a sheep slaughter.  Yup, I did just say that.  I, too, question what has become of my life at times. Three families came over and three sheep were slaughtered.  There are several more to do later in the year but it was bitterly cold on Saturday and there were perhaps a few too many hands in the fire, so to speak. Young, inexperienced hands. And Alan felt it would be best to put off doing our two for a later date.  But even the 9-year-old helped skin on the of animals.  She came inside and was quite proud to tell me she'd skinned the sheep.  She is a fearless one, that girl.  I kept all of the younger children busy and warm in the house along with the older kids who needed a break or to warm up every so often.  Kept lunch warm and drinks flowing.  So my job did not involve blood or anything but anyone who takes on that many little ones all day worked a bit, too. I think.  I mostly made 3 batches of play doh and let the little ones play. And had to tell the middle boys where they were and were not allowed to aim the catapult inside the house (seriously, not towards anything breakable and no firing with anyone downrange although you'd think they'd maybe know these things by now).

Anyway, so that has been my week in a nutshell.  

No comments: