Monday, November 4, 2013

Day 4

This one may seem weird but today I'm thankful for military funerals. Because they make you stop and realize this is something serious. I don't think until the guns went off that most of the folks attending realized how serious the occasion actually was this evening.  There was a noticeable change in the feeling in the room.  And I'm thankful for those folks who sign up to be the honor guard and show up to the funerals when called.  I'll admit it was my first time attending a military funeral at all and it was a very interesting experience.  You'd think after being around the military my entire life, it would not have been the first one but for me it was. May God Bless that young man and be with his parents and sister in the coming months. I know the path they will be walking is a lonely one and not an easy one travel.

3 comments:

Jeff Hite said...

The changing in the room at that moment was incredible. I agree that it didn't seem like until that moment they most of them even realized that it was a funeral. Not that you have to be sad and weepy at a funeral, but that you should recognize it as a somewhat serious event. When the flag was unfolded and the honor guard was began firing the entire mood and attitude of the room changed.

Thank you for the biker looking guards who stood at the doors of the funeral home to make sure the funeral was not crashed by people who might want to protest this young mans' service to his country.

Thank you to the military Chaplin who came and prayed with us all for the soul of the young man and that the family might find peace.

And thank you to the many of my co-works who drove all the way from the Buffalo to be there tonight and honor this young man.

Last but not least, thank you Cheryl for going with me. I was glad to have you there.

Dirtdartwife said...

the Patriot Guard is a great group. Was it them? They try hard to make it to as many milfunerals as they possibly can, however they do it only under a personal invitation from the family.

I've been to more milfunerals than I wish I couldn't count. Something about the "last roll call" and then Taps, smacks me between the eyes every time.

I will pray for the family, especially during this week as it's the time to help release a soul from Purgatory through our prayers. May his family find peace and may God comfort them on this new journey.

Cheryl said...

Yup, I think it was the Patriot Guard. Plus the Honor Guard from base.