Friday, November 29, 2013

Day 29

Stopped at the thrift store today after Katie asked if we would look for a dress for her for church. Our first place to look for clothes is always the hand-me-down bins in the basement. But being the oldest girl in the family and on the upper end of the girls we usually get hand-me-downs from, finding dresses for her in the hand-me-downs rarely happens.  But one of our favorite stores was having a 30% sale today so we stopped in.

We found a dress for her, 2 sweaters for me (the thing about losing 30+ pounds is that you find a significant amount of your clothes no longer fit and when you don't have the budget to replace them, you start to like thrift stores as opposed to always wearing clothes that just kind of hang on you funny), a matching set of 4 serving bowls, and a matching set of 4 soup bowls all for $17.  Yes, it can take longer to find what you are looking for this way and you can't be too picky (the soup bowls don't match our existing ones perfectly but are the same brand, color, and size, just with an extra decoration on them). But we save a ton this way. It truly makes me regret not shopping this for everything in the first few years of our marriage.  We were stupid then and got caught up in the need to impress everyone trap including a few years we put Christmas gifts for extended family members on credit. Like I said,we were idiots.  I'm just hoping that our own kids learn from our mistakes and always think to look at the thrift stores first.

So, yes, today I am thankful for the abundance of decent thrift stores in our area and not at all ashamed to say so.

1 comment:

Ashley M. said...

I grew up thrifting. I remember my junior year of highschool, my mom's gross income was $16,000. Granted it was just 3 of us at home (mom, me, younger sister), but still, it was tight. It took me almost 6 years to convince the husband to shop at thrift stores, though. What a glorious day that was. He walked into Savers and found a very expensive brand name polo shirt for church in perfect condition for $3. Never would have been able to afford that shirt straight off the rack. Now I get annoyed any time I actually have to buy clothes brand new. My favorite thing about the thrift stores is that you have a variety of brands to choose from. Different brands fit differently, so it's nice to not have to go to 7 stores to find a pair of pants that fit properly.