Thursday, November 28, 2013

Day 28

Thankful today for actually having Alan at home.  This marks only the second time in 14 years that he has not had to work on Thanksgiving.  Admittedly, a few times he only had to go in for a half day and be at home on call the rest of the day but the option to actually be home all day with us is a new one.  Granted, I do think some of the kids will get a tad upset when they realize this means I have not actually stocked the house with our normal finger food feast of junk but I think they'll get over it.

It's strange that it was only after moving so close to so much of our extended family that I started to actually feel lonely and hate having Alan always working on Thanksgiving. But then again, perhaps it's the being so close to extended family that does it to you when you are still kept at a very large arm's distance away from everyone else.  Sigh. But I guess that just serves as a reminder that there are so many people out there spending not only this holiday alone, but every day. Because it's hard to celebrate a with family when you don't have one to share your time with.

Anyway, thankful to have Alan actually home with us this year. Yes, he is in charge of all the cooking and teaching the kids how to get it all done (no, I have never ever cooked a turkey in my life.  perhaps I'll have to tackle one later this year).

No comments: