Monday, September 30, 2013

Pantry Pictures

Ok, this is in answer to a request. And, yes, I am one of those people who strongly believes that every family should maintain a decent sized stockpile of food in their homes. No, I don't think 2 weeks is enough. I think you really should be trying for 3 months at a minimum because you just never know when your situation may change. You may get hit by bad weather or sickness keeping you from leaving the house. You may suffer a job loss, reduction in income or sudden increase in bills. You may have family members or friends who are suddenly in need of help.   All of those reasons could cause you to need access to a readily available supply of already purchased food.

These two pictures focus pretty much on the home canned food. We also put 50+ pounds of chicken into the freezer over the weekend and I am planning to still do a batch of grape jelly and hopefully some sauerkraut (if we can figure out what we did wrong last time).  What you don't see are the 50+ pounds of pasta, tons of frozen peppers, extra canned tomato products, the butter, cream cheese, apples, and cabbage in the fridge, the flour and sugar I keep in the spare fridge (not turned on except during meat delivery season), the onions we harvested this year that are stored upstairs for the winter, and a few other pantry supplies. I also do my best to store those things like toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, detergent, and such things that you would want to buy no matter what but those are kept in the bathrooms. With our current supplies, if Alan gets laid off for some reason, I could avoid shopping except for milk and the occasional fresh produce for several months. The current lack of flour and sugar would send me to the store before anything else but I tend to stock up on those during the October-December holiday sales.

No comments: