Monday, July 1, 2013

Tweaking the Meal Plan

I have finally gotten to that point where I am pretty much completely comfortable adjusting recipes to use whatever we have in the house rather than what it says to use.  Today we started with the beef teriyaki with pineapple recipe and added in carrots, peppers, and onions.  The end result was a more filling, less expensive meal that tasted wonderful.  My only complaint this time was that I think I should have doubled the amount of vegetables that I added and perhaps once that is done, cut the amount of pineapple in half.

After draining the cans of pineapple, I had almost 2 cups of pineapple juice to use.  Most of the time, I'm hard pressed to keep the children from just drinking it on me but today I managed to put the juice into the fridge.  So I started with this recipe for blueberry orange bread and used pineapple juice instead of orange juice. That will be breakfast tomorrow for the kids instead of oatmeal.

We skipped the chicken caesar salad wraps on Sunday so those will be lunch tomorrow instead. Dinner will be a version of this zucchini alfredo recipe rather than the mac and cheese.  I'm trying to decide what extra vegetables I should toss in to the sauce.

Alan and 4 of the kids spent the evening at the farm and brought home a bunch of vegetables.  Once I figure out what they brought home tonight, I'll have to figure out a few ways to use them up.  Hopefully I can get creative and use everything this time around.  Has anyone had any luck dehydrating greens for winter use or is it just best to always freeze them?

No comments: