Sunday, July 28, 2013

Meal Plan

I had the meal plan done by the middle of last week but I didn't get it up yesterday and it has already been tweaked, abandoned or ignored or something.   But before I get to the meal plan, can anyone tell me how long you can store fresh cabbage for reliably? Or how to store it for long term use? Or how to make your own sauerkraut? Does that require a pressure canner? Granted, I don't care for the stuff at all but I also don't care for pickled beets and I've promised Alan I'll do a batch of those for him this year.  So maybe it will grow on me. Maybe not. But maybe.

So this meal plan will include what we actually ate today rather than what was planned.

S: pancakes (B), picnic at the park (L), assorted finger foods and snack type stuff (D)
M: bagels and fruit (B), roasted chicken with assorted veggies to include the beets and maybe zucchini that need to be used (D)
T: pumpkin baked oatmeal (B), cabbage casserole (D)
W: zucchini bread (B), pasta of some sort (D)
T: yogurt and granola (B), leftovers (D)
F: country breakfast bowls (B), hot dogs/bratwurst, pasta salad, coleslaw (D)
S: waffles and apple butter (B), pizza hut for the kids with free coupons (the younger 7), frozen pizza for the older 2, something for Mom and Dad (D)

1 comment:

Ashley M. said...

I've never made sauerkraut, but I have kept a head of cabbage in the fridge for somewhere near 3-4 weeks before it starts getting kind of unappealing. It's one of those things that holds up pretty well for me. If you happen to have bleu cheese around, we make coleslaw with shredded cabbage, coleslaw dressing, and some bleu cheese sprinkled in. Sounds weird, but is actually really good (coming from someone who isn't a big coleslaw fan).