Saturday, July 13, 2013

Canning/Preserving Count

I'm going to be adding a new list to the side of the blog to help me keep track of what I am putting in the pantry and freezer. Truthfully sometimes I send the kids down for food for meals so often that I start to lose track of what I have stored. Which is decidedly a bad thing. It can lead to overstuff freezers, forgotten food, and a lack of a real plan. Or basically it can lead to wasted money.

Today I canned 4 pints plus one 4 oz jar of raspberry jam, 1 liter of blueberry syrup, and 2 half-pints of blueberry syrup. I also put 5 2 cup portions of blueberries into the freezer and one quart sized bag of bell pepper slices into the freezer. Yes, I do need to track the freezer and the canning because I try to stock up on all seasonal produce that can be frozen now when the prices are low to use during the year.

I found the most awesome bottles at Wegmans for canning syrups and I'm hoping to fill them all so that we can avoid buying syrup much this year.  Yes, we always avoid the syrups made with high fructose corn syrup and this way we can have ready to go fruit syrups without corn syrup in them.  Have you ever checked those labels? It is frankly sad how many things start with high fructose corn syrup.

As weird as it is to say, nothing gives me quite the same level of satisfaction as seeing the pantry shelves full of home canned food.  Yes, I'm weird like that.

No comments: