Thursday, January 3, 2013

Spreadable Butter

This one, although fairly thrifty, definitely falls under the want rather than a need category.  But sometimes it's finding a way to add in a few of those wants that help keep you on your budget without feeling as if you are missing out on something. While using up the yogurt that didn't set right, we ended up with a double batch of muffins, 3 loaves of cranberry bread (did I mention that we snagged fresh cranberries for 33 cents a pound at SAMS), and two loaves of blueberry bread.  Lots of yummy stuff for breakfast.  Ok, only 3 days of breakfast around here but still yummy.  I decided yesterday that all that bread needed some easy to spread butter to go with it so I made a batch of spreadable honey butter yesterday. Yes, this is that same stuff I've been known to pay extra for at the grocery store every so often because it is so much more convenient. Yes, I know you can just leave butter out at room temperature to soften but I know my kids. That just would not be a good idea.  Besides, I have this nifty new professional stand mixer sitting in my kitchen that needs to be used.

If you search the internet, there are lots of recipes. They are all basically the same.  Take your butter and whip it up until smooth.  Add in some oil (something with a light taste to it so it does not impact the taste of the butter) and whip it together until smooth. Some recipes called for adding water. I opted against this one.  Then I added in a little honey.  The butter was a bit runny at first but firmed up in the fridge overnight.  This morning it was spreadable directly out of the fridge which is exactly what I was looking for.  I used two sticks of butter and between 1/3 and 1/2 cup of oil.  Since butter is currently running $1.99 a box (why yes, I did buy more than 20 lbs of butter at that price), my final cost is about $1.25 or so.  Much cheaper than buying it at the store.

1 comment:

Dirtdartwife said...

and if you buy chance find a Cool Whip tub or something like that, you can store lots of it! I'll have to try this recipe!