Saturday, January 5, 2013

Parenting as News?

Have you seen the news coverage of the Mom who gave her son an iphone for Christmas? And made up a contract to go with it? Can someone please explain to me why this is news worthy?  Why on earth people are posting this all over the web (oops, like I just did) and applauding this lady for being a parent?  And giving her child rules and expectations.  Seriously folks, have we really sunk to this level as a society that a parent acting like a parent is news worthy?

Granted, I think iphones are ridiculous for teens in most cases.  Heck, I think the smart phone craze is ridiculous for adults as well.  We own 3 cell phones in this family and each of them is a dumb phone and we plan to keep it that way.  The teens' phone is a pay-as-you-go phone that sits on the kitchen counter unless we give them permission to take it with them (because it is for OUR convenience, not theirs).  Alan and I will likely be switching to the same pay-as-you-go phones ourselves because my 8 year-old phone is dying.  I refuse to buy another phone and lock us into another contract with Sprint and we only use the phones to call each other a couple times a week, if that.  No reason to keep paying $70 a month for two phones that are rarely used.  But anyway, why on earth is this person being applauded and told she is doing something amazing?  She's not. She's being a parent and doing her stinking job.  Sigh. I'm baffled and confused. Good job, lady. Really.  I'm glad you took the time to set down rules regarding your child's use of the phone. But I just don't see why this is something special and to make noise about.

No comments: