Monday, December 31, 2012

Meal Plan

Time to come up with a plan for the week.  I decided not to make a plan last week since I figured we'd have leftovers and Alan home a bit more often which would keep things a bit more informal. Seemed to work but I've been reminded that with the size of our family, leftover turkey meat simply does not last as long as it once did.  I think we only got one pot of soup and 2 days of sandwiches out of the leftovers.  Kind of sad. I'll have to plan the use of the two turkeys in my freezer better later this year.

Due to some upcoming financial changes (new taxes anyone?) plus needing to plan for increased bills (it looks like we are going to get stuck with some extra medical bills because there is apparently a way to code an ambulance bill for insurance purposes to make it appear as if the ride was not an emergency even if the person transported was not breathing which means then the insurance does not pay for it) and a massive jump in the mortgage payment due to a massive increase in local taxes, we are going to have to make a few changes in the meal plan department.  I'm very grateful that the kids love soups because they will be eating a ton of them. Bread prices jumped last time I was at the store (unless you buy the cheap bread and I refuse to buy bread made with corn syrup because that is just wrong and not healthy for you) so it is  time to get into the routine of making our own bread.  Unfortunately I was only able to stock up on 115 pounds of flour over the past few weeks while it was on sale so we'll plow through that amount rather quickly.  In order to make the budget work, our grocery budget has been cut almost in half and since I've been struggling to say in the other budget, I'm thinking it will be hard to stay in this one.  I have January to load up the pantry stores before the new budget kicks in so I'll be grabbing as much meat as possible this month to freeze.  Wish me luck on finding sales and marked down products because we'll need them.  I also need to figure out which one of our coolers we can fit a crockpot insert into because we learned this weekend that not only will bread not rise in the kitchen in the winter but yogurt also will not set without being incubated in a cooler.  Yes, our kitchen lacks proper insulation and gets incredibly cold in the winter.  It's rather quite annoying and the children poked a bunch of holes in the large styrofoam cooler I was using to incubate the yogurt last year because they enjoy doing things that drive me crazy.

So here is the weekly meal plan, made up as I am typing.

M: eggs and bacon (B), FFY (L), pulled pork, coleslaw, potato salad otherwise known as party leftovers (D)
T: pumpkin bread (B), chili (L), spaghetti (D)
W: cereal (B), pbj (L), honey glazed chicken (D)
T: muffins (B), soup (L), tacos (D)
F: eggs (B). tuna sandwiches (L), hoping for leftovers (D)
S: cereal (B), FFY (L), pizza night (D)

I have to spend some time today using up the rest of the yogurt that did not set right.  We are using it as a buttermilk substitute and making bread and muffins with it which will be used for breakfast this week.  I am also searching for a tortilla press.  Making them by hand saves a ton of money when you use 20 to 30 tortillas at a time (which we do) but is rather time consuming. They do taste a ton better than store bought but it can take me 2 hours to hand roll enough for our family.  It is much cheaper than buying them though so I am hoping to find a decent inexpensive press to make my life easier.

1 comment:

Dirtdartwife said...

Don't forget the deer processors. They might have extra meat that someone didn't pick up.