Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Making Detergent

Ok, file this one under frugal hints.

This week I made a triple batch of laundry detergent.  Nothing fancy or earth-shaking here but it seems folks have forgotten that you can make such things and cut down on your expenses.  So I just thought I would share the recipe for anyone who might be interested.

First I will say that we don't always use the homemade version.  If I can get laundry detergent inexpensively I will.  Usually the case lot sales have decent prices on it in bulk but when Alan picked up our order last time, they were out of the detergent I had ordered.  Since he did not know the prices himself, he opted not to buy the other detergent they had in stock (which was not at all a bad choice).  Coupons and matching sales can bring the prices down at the regular stores but sometimes I just am not on top of tracking those things.  When I've run out of the cheaper stuff and am not in the mood to pay the regular price for detergent, I make it.

The version I use is 1 bar of soap, 1 cup of borax, and 1 cup of washing soda.  Grate the soap and mix it with the rest of the ingredients.  You want to use a soap made for laundry or something that lacks extra ingredients.  Fels-naptha, zote, and ivory are all great choices.  Ivory is probably the best option cost wise since you can easily get it for free with coupons. I had 9 bars stashed away that I paid less than 10 cents a bar for earlier this year.

Next week I'll mix up a batch of all-purpose cleaner (once I find the missing spray bottle).  When done alone, these things won't make a bit of difference to the budget but when added together you will see a difference.

1 comment:

ekasayka said...

I would LOVE to know your all-purpose cleaner recipe!