Wednesday, March 9, 2011

40 Bags

Lent is here and I wish I could say I had some grand plan for what to do this year to make it meaningful.  Truthfully, I haven't a clue.  We'll be do Stations of the Cross each Friday as a family.  I will try to stick with meatless meal plans more often than not.  We have a Lenten Calendar to put up in the kitchen for the kids to count the days.  Bryan just asked if he could make an Alleluia Box again.  I hope to actually finish that Passion Play Cut n Color kit I bought so long ago.  Seems I am lacking inspiration but then again, when we try to do too much, we burn out and end up doing nothing.  And frankly, this past year has in many ways already felt like one long extended "Lent" anyway so it's kind of hard to think of something new to do.

We have decided instead this year to focus on a fairly popular idea called 40 Bags in 40 Days.  The idea is to clear your home/life of all of the extra clutter and stuff. To learn to let go of the material possessions you've come to depend upon so much.  To give the extras to those who don't have what you do or to just clean that overflowing closet that you are afraid to open because you fear for your life when you do.  I know we won't be doing all bags since we do have several expired carseats that still have not made it to the trash, a coffee table to give away, a microwave to give away, books to donate and other assorted stuff.  I think it will end up being just 40 "things" with most of them being bags.  Clothes to donate, computer parts to toss, toys to purge, books to purge.  Hopefully we will gain a bit of space and a bit of perspective.  Now to get the kids to join us in this venture.  Ok, that might be asking for too darn much.

No comments: