Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Gentle Reminder

I've been searching for this poem for a while. I'd say at the moment that it adequately sums up where I think my priorities should be for the next little while.  I'm doing my best to focus on the now and not wish away their childhood.  Our kids are only in our little family for such a short amount of time so you'll have to ignore the dust and yes, I can see a few cobwebs from here.  But right now they all want Mom and Dad in their life and the 13-year-old will still tell me he loves me (loved that phone message but shh, don't tell him I said anything).  So right now we are tending to crying babies (yes, even when they cry at night and want to be fed) and chasing rambunctious toddlers who haven't quite figured out that no is usually a no for their own safety and teaching the school aged kids and just enjoying the moment as much as possible.  One of these days I should probably print this poem out so I can read it when I need it.


Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
and out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
but I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren’t her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

2 comments:

Dirtdartwife said...

I've seen that poem quite a bit and love it. Has taught me to tone it down with the "perfect house" mentality and to sit and enjoy my kids. I can tell ya that my heart has grown because of it.

Mary said...

I remember seeing that poem before, thanks for posting it.
It does help to be reminded where our priorities should be.