Thursday, November 25, 2010

Matthew West "My Own Little World" LIVE

We heard this song on the way to Mass this morning and I wanted to share it. It is a reminder that we often get so caught up in our own world, our own problems, our own way of viewing things that we forget to think of the other folks around us. In our family, Alan works every single Thanksgiving pretty much. He has since Sean was born. With this job it means he gets Christmas off but in the past that was never a guarantee. Spending most holidays alone reminds me every year to think of that single mom or the family that just moved or folks just starting out in life who have no one to share their holidays with this year. I am surrounded by loud happy kids and Alan will cook tomorrow. But how many folks are out there alone? I have to wonder why we as a society never think to reach out to anyone outside our own social circle. Your close friend has an emergency, you are there. The relative who lives 10 minutes away needs help, you are there. And you feel good because you helped. But what about the rest of the world? How many folks truly take the time to see beyond "population me" and try to understand what another person is living. Just what I am pondering today.

No comments: