Friday, August 6, 2010

Small Appliances

I've got dinner going in the kitchen and don't have a need to be in there watching it thanks to the wonderful blessing of small appliances.  Cream cheese chicken is going in the crock pot (not really healthy for you but absolutely delicious) and rice is going in the rice cooker.  Yes, I splurged on a rice cooker this past month.  When you are cooking rice in large quantities on a regular basis (we need 6 to 8 cups for a meal), it is easy to get sick of the water bubbling out and boiling over.  We don't really care for instant rice around here but we also don't really care for the mess when your pot just isn't quite big enough for the amount of food you need to cook.  I do wish we had a restaurant supply store around us.  Sigh, I can dream.

Earlier this week I pulled out my smaller crock pot to make a batch of yogurt only to discover that the crock itself had a nice huge crack in it. I'm sure this is thanks to the small sized helpers we have in the kitchen. It is quite normal to walk in and discover Gabe unloading the dishwasher by himself because he loves to help.  So the crock pot went into the trash and I am now searching for a new one.  We use them often enough that one just really isn't enough.  And having a smaller one is nice for making things like yogurt and oatmeal.  Granted my opinion of small is likely your opinion of big but such is life around here.  My dream crock pot will have a timer.  Now to save up those Amazon cards to get one for free but since those are marked for Christmas spending, I think we'll be stuck with only one for a while. 

So what are your must have kitchen appliances?  Other than child locks to keep the kids out of the drawers and cupboards.  I really need to buy more of those.

1 comment:

Dirtdartwife said...

I love my huge griddle. Seriously... that thing is almost better than the grill. The grill is a close second and most used "appliance." We're right on the cusp of needing another crock pot. And I'm jealous that you have a rice cooker. We don't like minute rice too much either but dang... it takes FOREVER to do regular rice (we're a 3 cup family now)